average app adoption rate across Northstar’s events
number of in-app banner views for most recent event
of attendees were better informed because of a push
Northstar initially used a different mobile event app provider prior to CrowdCompass. However, once Northstar became more familiar with mobile technology, the company’s expectations grew and the staff began to explore other options. After considering its positive partnership with Cvent—Northstar switched to CrowdCompass in 2013.
Northstar connects industry suppliers with professional meeting planners, so having a relationship with a large company like Cvent is important. Northstar also wanted to host all of its events in a single app, and needed the app to be easy to update. With CrowdCompass, Northstar is able to build and manage all of their events within the multi-event app.
Northstar is very involved with the marketing of their app. Not only do they send out an email explaining the benefits of their event app and how to download it, they also promote it onsite during registration, through postcards, and in the welcome opening. To increase adoption even further, Northstar takes a creative approach. During each event, they hold a contest. Everyone who has downloaded the app gets their name put into a drawing, and one meeting planner and one supplier each win a prize.
Attendees liked using the event app for several reasons:
"The support team within CrowdCompass is fabulous."– Angela Cox, Northstar
“The support team within CrowdCompass is fabulous,” said Angela Cox, Director of Meetings & Events for Northstar. Knowing that she had someone who would input data and consistently check in with her kept her on track and saved her a lot of time.
Angela also loved the ability to schedule and send out push messages. When she saw that an activity was a half hour late, she used a push notification to notify attendees that the post-event reception would begin later than planned. That one push notification got the word out to 80% of her attendees within 10 minutes. The other 20% of attendees were covered by the staff within half an hour — crisis averted!
Since Northstar’s attendees are interested in meeting up with suppliers, Angela plans on taking advantage of the networking features within the CrowdCompass platform. She also knows that the Northstar app is proving a great service to suppliers, and will eventually use it as a way to increase revenue by selling ad space within the app to sponsors.
Get a custom demo and see what your event app could look like.